Thursday, March 08, 2007

Marathon training diary no3: one month to go

Paris marathon is a little over a month away. My target is to complete the course in between 3hrs 30 and 3hrs 45. This weekend's MK half marathon will be the first test of that goal. Julia Brennan and I are hoping to run flat 8 minute miles for the full 13.1 miles and to come in around 1hr 44mins.

So far training has been going relatively well. I've been following a Runners World schedule which includes interval training for speed, distance training for endurance and race-pace training for errrm, well pace I suppose.

Julia has been a tremendous help because (coincidentally) we seem to run at more or less the same speed, pushing each other a little bit further every time. Emma, Sue and Ed have also been brilliant training partners for lunchtime runs.

As I get closer to the race date the distances required become greater and more and more of my time is being absorbed by training. Fortunately, the spring is also arriving and running in the park land around The Open University is becoming an increasing pleasure.

Yesterday's OU relay was quite heartening. I managed 1.1miles in 6mins 41secs without too much difficulty. There was certainly more in the tank. Last weekend I also ran an easy 14 miles and a frantic 5 miles (cross country) so I am not too worried by the distance.

Finding time to eat properly is sometimes a problem (especially at lunchtime) but the speed, the endurance and the love of running are all coming back.

No comments: