Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cycling developments and Holdsworth restoration: stage eleven



It has been a bike heavy week. As well as the normal commuting I’ve been knocking out a few miles on the Bianchi on the light evenings and drawing the innocent into 'bikeworld' over the weekend.

The Punisher and I took Dunc out for a couple of hours of wheel sucking through the Oxfordshire countryside. I managed to rein Matt and his new De Rosa back to a reasonable velocity although we did touch 21mph on the flat a couple of times (with Dunc embraced in the envelope of the peloton). Apart from a little light complaining about the discomforts inflicted by the saddle he was the very essence of a brick and performed really well. I’m hoping to arrange something a little longer next time; although possibly with an improved seating solution.

The Holdsworth project is also back on track after all that annoying puncture nonsense. I found a small stone inside the tyre which probably accounted for holes in the inner tubes and the tyre says up perfectly. I dismantled the sticking pedals in an attempt to free them up and one now works fine while the other requires further attention.

I've made some further progress with the clothing for L'Eroica. I've added the Holdsworth logo to the side of my cap and (to be perfectly honest) I'm very proud of the job I've done.

I’ve found corks for the bottles and whittled them down to size and (hopefully) found someone to sell me some size 44 retro cycling shoes. All in all the bike looks good now and is certainly a massive improvement on the oily heap I bought a few months ago. Here are the before and after shots:












The next things to focus on will be:
  • Making sure the wheels run true
  • Stripping off as much weight as possible

  • Replacing the front brake cable

  • Replacing the footstraps

  • Adding rigidity to the bottle holder
Gary Nelmes

No comments: