Monday, June 30, 2008

Bikes, bats and blokes dressed as ghosts

Things have been lively recently. Budd’s birthday bash and Laura’s Gypsy affair were both hilarious and produced some amusing photographs. I like the ‘Light Programme’ comedy look of the picture of me, Dave and Gareth.

This photo of Laura’s colander dance has a rather Braqueian quality to it I think. The light on the kitchen window and the positioning of the figures enhances the sense of abstraction and conveys exactly how drunk I felt – which is unusual.

I’ve attempted to draw a line under recent events by focusing on sport, fitness and work and I’ve really been enjoying myself. The Dragon Ride in Wales proved to be a real challenge but somehow the further in the past it gets the more fun it was.

Dave, Matt D and Matt H and I rode a killer 180km through South Wales and the Brecon Beacons on a stunning June day. I was clearly the least well prepared but I was pleased with myself for finishing our adapted 190km route (we got lost). I particularly enjoyed the flat sections where, riding in a group, we touched 30mph. It is easy in those situations to think you are riding like a pro. The hills proved otherwise and I hated some of the long slow climbs.

Nina has been attempting to teach me tennis and I was surprised that my hand-eye coordination is actually quite good. I seem to be able to hit the ball forehand and backhand and from the serve. My problem is control and direction (I have neither) and I managed to bury four balls in a bramble thicket last time out.

What amazes me is how physically demanding I find it. I think of myself as relatively fit but simple fact that tennis involves moving sideways (cycling and running being inherently ‘forward’ sports) seems to be crippling to the back and gluteal muscles. What is more the necessity of bringing my arms into ‘purposeful action’ gave me chest pains which made me think I was having a coronary. I really am enjoying it however and it has got to be doing me good.

As I noted back in the winter I fancied having a go at cricket and I did at least take part in a competitive match in the OU six-a-side tournament. This mostly involved running after balls but I regard the ambition as more or less achieved. Having tasted the action we then went to the Northants 20/20 game at Campbell Park to watch the pros do it properly and taste the beer – which was expensive.

I now have to focus on the serious goals of the year. I would like to record10km, half marathon and marathon personal bests.

No comments: