Saturday, September 06, 2008

Amsterdam marathon preparation: part two

I did a simulated Amsterdam run this afternoon. I thought that running along the canal between Bletch and Leighton B would a rough facsimile of Amsterdam being flat, slightly cobbled and proximate to water. It was but it was relentless. The lack of company; cheering dope befuddled crowds and people dressed as gonks made it quite punishing. Sixteen miles is a long way with only the occasional heron kwarrk, puppy attack and swan blockage to keep one's mind occupied.

I managed what could be thought of as eight minute miles (3:30 marathon pace) but only if you sort of squint at it through half closed eyes. I was actually 0.19miles (or about 2 mins over all) off and I did have to stop for a coke and a packet of Nobbys Nuts lest I pass out.

Tomorrow (pardon me while I wee myself with excitement) is the start of The Tour of Britain in London. C'mon you Wiggins!

No comments: