Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mushrooms for Amsterdam

The folks I encountered in the out of the way ‘Linford Wood’ car park weren’t the normal dogging crowd you find in these places. Instead, they were a collection of worthy would-be mycologists. The Parks Trust were organising a Mushroom day with a Buckinghamshire Fungus Group expert (Derek Schafer). The talk was really interesting (although somewhat high level for me) and some fantastic facts came out. Essentially the business about ants ruling the world (which is what the ant experts think) isn’t true – fungus does. “If slime moulds are your thing” was 

my favourite quote. Anyway, we saw honey fungus, ink caps, puff balls, agarics and brackets. All interesting stuff – especially the bit about mycelium. 

Preparation for Amsterdam has been slightly bumpy. I’ve had a bad cold and I’ve torn one of the roots of my bicep but I’m reasonably confident of doing a reasonable time. Prior, Julia and Maj are ill. Tomorrow we’ll on the Eurostar to Amsterdam.

This is my last week as OU most improved athelete so I had to have my name added to the errm stoneware.

No comments: