Monday, November 17, 2008

Modest gliding and knightly kneeling

The weekend was something of a curate’s egg. On Saturday I went skating at the rink at the Natural History Museum. I’ve never been particularly keen on skating but I was worse than I imagined. I spent the first ten minutes working my way around the perimeter railing and then very slowly venturing inwards – shuffling pathetically. Somehow Newton’s laws were working against me and I had no momentum to conserve. After about half an hour I could confidently move round with my eyes fixed four feet ahead; and ten minutes later I was experimenting with modest gliding. I was just getting the hang of turning when some idiot with a video camera skated backwards in front of me and left me in a moist and knightly kneeling position. This event shook the old confidence somewhat and a few minutes later I came a medium cropper after a near miss with a whelp. I now seem to have whiplash. By way of compensation we had a most agreeable lunch at Cous Cous Darna near South Kensington Tube.

Trivial tasks accomplished over the weekend included bar taping and plastering (both acceptable is slightly cack-handed), the re adhesion of wallpaper and the reading of a large chunk of my B713 materials.

No comments: