Thursday, April 02, 2009

Marathon de Paris


This is typical… bloomin’ typical. For once in my life I have been relatively scientific with my marathon training. I took onboard Ruth’s advice and cut out all my ‘junk’ miles. I also made sure that I wasn’t training for a bike event at the same time.

My schedule was based on two speed sessions (Tuesday and Thursday) and a long weekend run which built from 10 to 22 miles. Everything was in the bag, my times over distances up to 7 miles were coming down nicely (1, 5 and 7 mile PBs)and I was running my long runs at 8min mile pace (as required for a 3:30 marathon). I left a clear two weeks for ‘tapering’ and all was going well. Then ‘bang’ the injury I had before Paris 2007 struck again. At one point I couldn't have run 26 paces never mind 26 miles. I have pain down the front and inside of my right shin, discomfort in the large muscle on the outside of my right calf and I'm packing ice like a herring.

The masseur/physiotherapist at 'Joint Solutions' thinks I may have damaged my soleus and was noncommittal about whether I should run; so I’m travelling to Paris tomorrow in somewhat less than buoyant mood.

I expect not to run and will certainly not to break 3:30 if I do. I don't intend to enter Paris Marathon again. Grrrrr....

No comments: