Monday, March 10, 2008

Holdsworth restoration: stage nine

Today has been a horrible day with a long term state of being very dear to me coming to an end. Sadly I am not one of those soul-bearing bloggers so you don't get to hear the heart rending and messy detail of it all. Instead I'm going to draw your intention to the furtherment of my career as a cycle geek.

As every self respecting retro cyclist knows a bike is not a bike without aluminium drinks bottle mounted on the handlebars. Unfortunately, getting hold of anything that is both authentic and hygienic is all but impossible. Consequently I have obtained a pair of new SIGG drinks bottles in a suitably plain and pleasing finish. As with all things Swiss they are fearsomely hygienic and look just the ticket. This leaves two problems; the production of cork stoppers (which are an aesthetic ‘must’) and the mounting of the bottles in a suitably authentic 'cage'.

It seems remarkably difficult to get hold of a bottle cage which looks like anything other than a rusty chicken cage. Consequently I've been endeavouring to design one of my own. The pictures here show my paper prototype. The idea is that the body could be cut from aluminium or tin; bent into shape; and secured with suitably aged looking leather strapping.

No comments: