Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Review of 2008

Back in January I set out some vague goals for 2008. I've managed some and missed rather more. I just can't believe (for instance) that I failed to get around to using starlings for musical notation. I focused on two main projects. HIM II, Eroica and Amsterdam marathon.

The 'Eroica' bike race was my main goal and I managed to buy and lightly restore a vintage Holdsworth, get together the appropriate kit and facial hair and race the bike over the 205km course. The race was gruelling but the feeling I got from completing it was worth every turn of the pedals. The spirit was truly heroic.
I managed three other bike events during the year. 'The Dragon' was fairly tough but I finally completed the 180km 'long' route after two years of 'short' route ignominy. I followed this up with the festival of mechanical failure that is the Woodcote Sportif and a leisurely two day version of the Circuit of the Cotswolds with Julia.

On the running front 2008 was not as successful as I hoped. I failed in my goals for half and full marathon although I did run a marathon PB in Amsterdam. I really enjoyed the trip and I would very much like to go back to Amsterdam as a tourist.

I didn't make it to the Alps in 2008 but I did discover the majesty of the Cairngorms and the convenience of the Caledonian Sleeper. Indeed Richard and I managed to cram in two visits bagging both Cairn Gorm and Ben Macdui in near whiteout conditions.

Musically things have continued on a gradual upward trend. The guitar playing has improved a little and the Humphrey Institute of Music week proved to be rather more musical than the first edition. We have a new hardcore and big plans for 2009.

Educationally things have picked up . I began B713: Fundamentals of Senior Management (first of the MBA courses) in November and I am just about keeping up with the work. I failed once again to make the move into research.

Personally it has been a difficult year with the break coming in March. I've done a lot of soul searching and self analysis and come to some useful conclusions.

Over Christmas I'm going to make a list of 2009 projects and read the latest edition of my new favourite magazine 'It's FAT'

No comments: