Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Holdsworth restoration: stage three


The polishing has continued and I now have a presentable back wheel and back brake to add to the rest of the shiny bits.

The news on spares is a bit more mixed. I’ve have obtained a very useful list of reproduction decals (from Nick Tithecote at Lloyds) while the modern brake blocks I purchased to replace the MAFAC ones have proved unsuitable due to their depth. I have ordered some slightly ‘hybrid’ Panaracer Pasela TG tyres from Wiggle in the hope that they will cope with the Italian ‘white roads’ better than the Schwalbes.
Roger Armstrong, Tony Colegrave and Steve at Brooks have been very helpful in edging towards a definitive date for the frame. We seem to have narrowed it down to a period between 1939 and 1945 and hope to get a little closer as time goes by.

As regards the paintwork I have decided to go with Roger’s advice in the first instance (i.e. to try to conserve the existing paint) and, should it prove impossible, to commission Mercian to do the necessary refinishing.

Glyn Nelmes (my esteemed father) is looking into the possibility of having the badly corroded cranks and toe clips cleaned and rechromed for me. The leather straps for the latter having cleaned up nicely.


No comments: