Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Holdsworth restoration: stage two


At this stage I'm focusing my efforts on cleaning, polishing and researching. I bought a polishing kit from Moleroda Finishing Systems (via eBay) to bring some shine back to the aluminium parts. Polishing is strangely addictive and rather than just trying it out on a brake lever as I had intended I've polished the levers, bars, front brake, front wheel and seat post. The materials are easy to use and very effective and the bike is gradually being transformed from an old wreck into a presentable 'classic' (images to follow).

Obtaining spares will be a problem at some juncture but I haven't come across a show-stopping problem yet. Once I have cleaned and trued the wheels I'll need to replace the split and worn tires. These are obtainable although the choice seems to be limited to Schwalbe 27x1 1/4. The brake blocks are also worn and (assuming 1950 MAFAC blocks will be impossible to get) I'm looking for a modern alternative.

Creating a specification for the respray is proving difficult. There is no evidence of the frame ever having been anything but green and no decals remain (beyond the bronze badge). I think I'll stick with green but I need to make a decision on a possible second colour and the addition of Holdsworth and Reynolds 531 logo styles. Many bikes have a contrast panel on the seat tube with a second 'prancing horse' badge but I see no evidence of this.

I still have no firm date for the bike's manufacture. the frame number is the earliest I can find mentioned on the internet (it is certainly before 1948) while the Campagnolo equipment is a little later (between 1951 and 1954).

Priorities between now and Christmas are developing an authentic colour scheme, tracking down the decals, contracting a finisher for the frame and stripping the bike for preparation.

No comments: